Hey guys, this post will be about the MacBook power adapter static issue that occurs while its plugged in, and the way to resolve it. Like me, you might have encountered some light static shocks from using the MacBook while it is charging, not a big problem but if that’s irritating you, then this post is for you!
Before We Start
MacBook users who are using the extension power cable would not face this static issue as the cable is properly earthed. Although, the UK adapter comes with a Earth pin it is not earthed. You can learn more about this here Gareth Hayes – Apple Power Plug Not Earthed & JH. I took inspiration from JH quick solution and came out with this guide.
- Wire – (Length >= 13.5cm & Diameter <= 0.5mm)
- Wire Stripper or Pen Knife
- Transparent Tape
Step 1 – Wire Cutting and Stripping
- Cut the wire to a length of 13.5cm
- Strip 2cm and 4cm of the wire at the different ends
Step 2 – Bending & Inserting the Wire
- Bend the wire at the 2cm end
- Insert the bent end into the plug
Step 3 – Inserting the Plug
- Carefully insert the plug into the power adapter
- Coil the other end of the wire around the Earth pin
Step 4 – Securing & Tidying Up
- Tape down the wire
- Tape down the coiled wire to the Earth pin
- Plug in the power adapter and test if the static issue is still present(Repeat Step 3. Ensure that the bare metal wire touches the metal stud)
And you’re done! I hope that this quick solution will fix your static issue!